For some reason, my parents always considered this one of the Slovenian dishes, but we basically never made it at home. We almost never had it either, as it was always considered the alternative to potica. Since my grandmother made it for every holidays, that meant that alternative was never even a valid option.
I have tired a store brought ones a couple of times, but for some reason, most state bought cakes and biscuits (and cookies for that matter, or muffins,...) leave something to be desired. So I decided to try and make my own.
- 6 eggs
- 10 spoons of white flour
- baking powder
- white sugar
- vanilla sugar
- 9 spoons of sunflower oil
- 9 spoons of milk
- 2 spoons fo powdered cacao
- small piece of butter
- Put yolks and the whites of the eggs apart
- Sift flour and baking powder to the bowl
- Mix together yolks, 5 spoons of sugar, vanilla sugar, oil and milk
- Mix together egg whites and sugar
- Mix flour mixture, yolks mixture and white mixture together
- Put fat (like oil or butter) on the pan
- Put the mixture in half and put cacao in one half of it
- Put first mixture with cacao in the pan and the rest of it on top
- Bake on 200°C for 20 minutes
- One way of putting the whites and the yolk apart is to use two half of the egg shell. The easier way that I used this time is to catch the yolk on the fingers and let the whites wash down.
- Putting cacao in most mixtures makes the mixture more compact, heavier and harder. Don't let that alarm, it is completly normal. But this is also a reason why the part with cacao goes first, as it is the only way to have it equally distributed. If the cacao is added later, it will simply sunk to the ground. Even so, I do sometimes put cacao mixture later, simply to not dirty that many bowls.
- Don't forget to overheat the oven for around 10°C, because it starts to cool as soon as it is open. Also, I am using a oven with ventilation, which means that you might need to use around 20°C higher temperature, depending on the type of oven you use.
- The cake was too dry -> so use more fat than me
- The cake had too little sugar -> use more sugar
- The cake had too much cacao -> use less cacao
Even with these complains from other people, there was still none of it left the next day.